We Recently Lost an Icon…
If you’ve watched the news at all over the last few weeks, you know that we recently lost an icon in the film industry. Writer / Director / Producer John Singleton passed away on April 28, 2019. He died of a stroke.He was only 51 years old.
As reports come in, we learn more about what happened. Apparently, he checked himself into a hospital because he was having trouble with his legs. While he was IN the hospital, he suffered a stroke. From there he lapsed into a coma and was placed on life support. After being on life support for some days, his family decided to pull the plug.
Strokez In The Hood…
John’s stardom began with the movie, Boyz In The Hood. He is noted for telling stories that others didn’t want to tell. Now, he is a reminder of other stories that many of us don’t want to tell… that no matter how much money and fame you have, you can still succumb to the same fate if you don’t take action and diligently work on your health!
Suffered In Silence
Apparently, John suffered with high blood pressure in silence, according to reports from his family members. I don’t know if this means that he ignored it or if he actually worked on improving his health but still succumb, but I do know that hypertension plays a LARGE part in all types of stroke.
From the articles that I read, he suffered from an acute ischemic stroke (a clot lodged in his brain and wouldn’t let blood flow past the clot so the tissue began to starve) and an intracerebral hemorrhage (a vessel in his brain burst and blood flowed freely into his brain) as well as hypertension.
This was a recipe for disaster.
What can YOU do?
- The first thing you can do is realize that no matter who you are, this can affect you. You MUST begin, or continue, to take matters of your health very seriously and work on improving yourself each day.
- Next, know the signs of stroke! When a stroke occurs, time is of the essence. You have to act quickly in order to get the best outcome. If you would like to know the signs of stroke, read this article. You can save a life if you know what you are looking for.
- Control your BLOOD PRESSURE!!! The greatest risk factor for stroke is uncontrolled hypertension! Start by going to your PCP and getting checked and monitored regularly. Next, take the medications. If you have adverse reactions from it, talk to your practitioner about it. Do NOT just ignore it stop your medications!!
- Change your diet!! I don’t care what ANYONE says, your diet absolutely affects your blood pressure. I’ve seen it far too many times. For many, their hypertension completely resolves with the right diet change. For others, they can take less medications. Either way, you will do yourself a great disservice by not changing how you eat.
- Get a Naturopathic Doctor / Holistic Health Practitioner on your health care team. There are lots of natural ways to help your body heal and getting help to choose which ones are best for you can save you a lot of time and money. Get someone on your team that has a greater breadth of knowledge about it and have open discussions with them about your goals.
- Know that you CAN heal! As long as you are alive, your body has the ability to heal itself. Just like the cut on your arm can heal when it is properly cleaned, protected, has the right nutrients (flowing inside your blood), and given the right amount of time, every other part of your body does the exact same thing!
If you have any questions…
If you have any questions about stroke, hypertension, diabetes, or another aspect of your health feel free to contact me. I’m here for you! Just click here or go to the “contact” page on this site. Let’s chat!