Tonight’s snack was fresh, organic Blueberries.
OMG! Have you ever eaten raw blueberries? If not, you should go out and try them RIGHT NOW! If you have, you should eat even MORE blueberries! I have to admit, growing up I’d never eaten fresh blueberries. The only blueberries that I’d eaten were in muffins or some other pastries, and who knows if those were actually blueberries. As far as I know, those were big balls of food coloring.
Well, they can’t stop me from eating them now! (Not really sure who ‘they’ is, but they better look out if they try to take muh bluebs). I’m addicted to them and I will ALWAYS eat them, especially during the growing season… and the beauty is that we are approaching blueberry season. Time for the cost of fresh blueberries to decrease and the flavor to increase. YES! If you happen to want to eat them before the official season starts, be sure to go to the frozen foods section and get some. Sometimes, those actually taste better because they are vine ripened and flash frozen to give it the best flavor and most nutrition.
If you are fortunate enough to live near a blueberry farm, then you should find if/when they have “You Pick” times. I went to a You Pick Blueberry farm a couple years ago. It was a great experience! I got a TON of blueberries for a fraction of the cost of store bought. I was picking and eating… I was soooo full by the time I left the farm. LOL! And, I had blueberries in the freezer for almost a year. It was a rewarding feeling to know that those berries were picked fresh, ripe, and by my hands. That made them even more tasty.
Now, a few things to know about’em:
In case you didn’t know exactly why you should eat more blueberries in your diet, here are just a few reasons that you should keep it in mind.
- They are DELICIOUS!!! Especially when you get them vine ripened. Full of flavor.
- They are high fiber, low glycemic. So they won’t spike your blood sugar and they will help keep your digestive system working because of the fiber content.
- Great for diabetics! Remember, these are a low glycemic food, so they won’t contribute to the damage that is done in the body. Oftentimes, when I am working with a diabetic patient, this is the only fruit that I will allow for a period of time until we get their blood sugar under control.
- Tons of antioxidants to help keep damage from stress, oxidation, free radicals, and sugar toxicity to a minimum. With today’s standard diet, we need all the antioxidants that we can get!
- Great for eyesight: Blueberries have been shown to have a positive affect on vision, similar to carrots.
- Helps keep your arteries and veins strong and elastic. For those that have easy bruising, uncontrolled diabetes, or other problems with their arteries, blueberries can be a great asset to decrease damage and maintain integrity.
- High in nutrients to keep skin looking youthful and beautiful. Vitamin C, antioxidants, proanthocyanins, and other nutrients help to keep the skin’s connective tissue in tact and supple. The is what helps skin look youthful and radiant for years to come.
There are SOOO many more benefits, but the best reason is…. cuz they’re DELICIOUS!!! When was the last time you ate them?
Be on the lookout…
… for my most recent salad dressing. It is Blueberry Rhubarb and it is GOOOD! For more blueberry dressings, check out my latest book: Get Dressed Up! Over 100 Gourmet Style Salad Dressing Recipes That Can Be Made In 10 Minutes Or Less. Click here to order your copy today and be on the road to better health by Making Salads Great Again!