This weekend I had the opportunity to speak at the “Exuberance Festival” in Independence, La. I have to say that the event itself was awesome! I got a chance to meet some really great people, some of which became instant family. There was a class on Thai Massage that we got a chance to participate in. The land was peaceful and inviting enough to walk around barefoot so that I could ground myself and connect with the earth (if you haven’t done that lately, I HIGHLY recommend it!) And of course, my talk. I talked about “Building Healthy Habits.”
During my talk, I asked them what their challenges were around building better habits and here are some of the responses:
- “I do a bunch of things for everyone else, but I feel guilty when I try to do things for me”
- “I’ll do things for a short time, but then I give up”
- “It’s so lonely trying to do healthy things alone”
- “Where do you start”
What I told them could be summed up into 7 simple points:
- You Can’t Pour From an Empty Cup: You MUST learn how to relax and replenish yourself! It’s not an indulgence. It’s a must. If you are not whole, if you are not healthy, well, or energetic, how can you do all those wonderful things for other people? You CAN’T! You must recharge yourself, and feel good about doing it.
- Give yourself GRACE: Allow yourself to work slowly towards your health goal. Be Patient with you. It’s ok to not be 100% all the time. Just keep moving forward.
- Pick One Thing. JUST ONE: Pick one small step towards better habits and improved health. Do that thing for a while (at least a week or two). Then, add something else to it. You don’t need to do it all at once. Don’t set yourself up for failure.
- Find a Crew: Find a group of people that have the same goals as you. These are the people that will motivate and encourage you to continue moving towards your goal. If you have several goals… find several different groups of people. It’s ok to have a knitting group, a running group, and a pole dancing group (LOL!! Didn’t expect that, did you?) Each group has a purpose and they all will encourage you to continue.
- Shift Your Thinking: This might be the most important one. If you can shift the way you think about health, it becomes less of a chore and more of an enjoyable habit. Can’t figure out how to shift your thinking about some healthy habit? Shoot me an email about what you are struggling with. I’ll help you find a way (or two) to think differently about it)
- Just Get Back Up: If you “fall off” the health wagon, then just get back on. It’s really REALLY simple. No need to beat yourself up about it – See # 1. As long as you can keep getting up, you are winning!
- Explore New Things! This one was probably the highlight of MY day at Exuberance [more about that in a bit]!! The idea is that there is an entire world of foods, activities, places, and people. You won’t know what it is that you like (or don’t) until you open yourself up to the experience of it. So, try new things and see what you can find. It may give you the boost you need to make the changes you want!
Health should be what we do.
Great Health, just like great wealth or even illness, occurs with consistently doing the things that will move you toward that goal. Create those habits and watch your health shift for the better!
If you’d like some ideas about how to add some actionable steps to your day in order to improve your health, you shouldpick up a copy of my book Practically Healthy: Step-by-Step Guide to Better Health. This book will give you tips that you can begin to use immediately to help you create the level of health that you deserve!
Until next time,
P.S. Now, I told you that the highlight of MY Exuberance experience was something new. Well, they had AcroNOLa in attendance doing demonstrations. This is a group that does AcroYoga here in the city. Well, I was talking to one guy, and he encouraged me to try it out. And I DID!!! Check out the video of my first (but definitely NOT my last) AcroYoga experience and see if it’s something that you might want to try out. WARNING: I didn’t realize they were recording. LOL!! I let a couple of “OH SH!T”‘s slip while I was up there…. 🙂