Insulin Resistance is a condition in which the insulin that’s in your body – whether you make it or inject it – becomes ineffective. Your body stops recognizing it so it’s not able to do its job as well. This leads to many other conditions including diabetes.
What You Can Do To Re-Sensitize Your Insulin…
Insulin Resistance is tough, but not impossible to reverse. Here are 5 things you can do to become more Insulin Sensitive (in no particular order):
- Get Some SLEEP! Several studies have shown that sleep deprivation CAUSES Insulin Resistance. This occurs in those that are healthy, those with insulin metabolic syndrome, Men and women. The “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” mentality is probably going to get you to the grave faster. If you’d like to read any of those studies, here are a few: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Exercise More – Exercising and Movement have profound affects on the body. One of them is helping to decrease the amount of sugar in the body even without the help of insulin. Making movement a regular part of your life is going to be key in becoming insulin sensitive, losing weight, having better quality sleep, and managing your stress levels.
- Stress Less – All stress – mental, physical, real or perceived – affects your body by increasing the fight-or-flight response. The problems occur when you have chronic stress and no outlet for it. The more stress your body encounters, the more at risk you are for increasing insulin resistance. Begin managing stress better and you are closer to becoming more sensitive to insulin. Check out the book Take Vacations Daily for daily suggestions of ways to break the stress cycle and decrease your blood sugar levels.
- Drink Green Tea – Green tea has been shown to be a very good drink for health in general. It has lots of antioxidants and lots of other factors that help to increase insulin sensitivity as well as lowering blood sugar. Just remember not to add too much sugar to your tea. Try a Flavor Tea Box for a variety of teas that are not only delicious, but also good for you!
- Use More Herbs and Spices – Spices such as Cinnamon, Fenugreek and ginger and herbs such as turmeric and garlic can be beneficial in lowering blood sugar.
No one thing is likely to be the Magic Bullet that will make you more Insulin Sensitive. It will take a combination of many, if not all, of these to do the trick. The other thing that will be needed is TIME and CONSISTENCY!
Your body didn’t get to where it is over night. It won’t reverse any condition over night either. It’s important to keep that in mind as you begin to make the changes. You may not actually SEE the changes you want to see, but changes are occurring. You may have to pay attention to other changes that are happening in the body as well, not just the ones you want. Just like the weed that grows in the concrete, persevere against all odds. Even when you don’t see the growth right away.
Give your body a chance to make the shifts and be consistent with the changes you make. You will gradually see your body responding… and HAPPY.
If you’d like some help creating a plan to help re-sensitize your insulin, Let’s Chat!