Hypertension is a Problem in the US
To say the very least, hypertension – high blood pressure – is a HUGE problem in the US and in the rest of the world. did you know:
- 1/3 of adults over 20 in the US have high blood pressure
- 1/3 of adults in the US have PRE-hypertension
- Only about half of the people that have high blood pressure have it under control, and
- High Blood Pressure costs this country almost 5 BILLION dollars a year
Hypertension is called a “disease of lifestyle”, which means that the things you do on a regular basis contribute or cause your numbers. The great part is that what you do can also cause your numbers to decrease as well!
My Top 5 Favorite Herbs for Hypertension
When creating your new health routine in order to lower your blood pressure readings and get healthier, consider adding these herbs to your daily regimen.
- HIBISCUS – this plant has been shown to lower both systolic AND diastolic numbers. It’s high in antioxidants and may also lower cholesterol levels. It can even help with a well rounded weight loss plan. You can drink hibiscus as a tea.
- HAWTHORN – this berry is known as a heart tonic. It is said to aid not only the physical heart, but also the emotional and spiritual heart as well. It your blood pressure is cause by emotional upset, then this herb may be helpful for you. Can be used as a tea, or in capsule, powder, or extract form.
- HOLY BASIL – this is not the same as your table basil. Holy basil has a history in ayurevedic medicine for many uses, including helping the body handle stress. It is also antioxidant and full of nutrients. It is considered an adaptogen that helps you handle stress, anxiety and exhaustion with more ease.
- ASHWAGANDHA – Ashwagandha is also an adaptogenic herb, like holy basil. It assists the body in staying in balance while dealing with the highs and lows of everyday life. This herb can be taken as a tea, in capsule form, or as a tincture.
- GARLIC – Studies have shown that garlic decreases both systolic and diastolic blood pressures after consistent use for at least 1-3 months. Allicin is the ingredient in garlic that is said to lower blood pressure. To get enough allicin, you need to eat 2-4 cloves of fresh garlic each day.
Each of these herbs can be added to your days, to your lifestyle, to help your body heal from the inside out.
The Legal Stuff
Oh… these statements have not been approved by the FDA. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Contact your Naturopath or other healthcare provider before making changes or adding any herbal medicines.
Whatever you decide to do, make the decision to take control of your health. YOU have the power to change things for the better. YOU have the power to take control of your lifestyle… the lifestyle that contributed to your hypertension. You have that power. Take control of it!